In recent years, a diet known as the Dukan Diet has been in the news. Most notably, it is the diet that Duchess Kate Middleton used to prepare for her wedding, and also to drop the weight after having her babies. So, what exactly is the Dukan Diet? It got us wondering how it compares to the Ideal Protein diet offered at 7Company.
Surprisingly, both diets were developed in France by doctors around the same time. Both diets focus on losing body fat while preserving muscle mass by altering the fuel you put into your body. Both doctors began treating their patients using their methods and were able to achieve real, lasting results.
The Dukan Diet was initially promoted more heavily in Europe while the Ideal Protein protocols gained a stronger foothold in the USA. In fact, Ideal Protein was named the Number 1 Diet of 2015, according to DietsinReview.com, a respected weight loss focused and diet review site. The Dukan Diet came in at number 11.
Dukan Diet and Ideal Protein Similarities
The body naturally uses glucose (sugars and carbs) first because they are the most easily digestible. When those resources are depleted, you body will break down muscle and fat at equal rates as fuel, causing you to lose muscle mass as you lose weight. This is why simply reducing your calorie intake is not the best way to lose weight.
Both Ideal Protein and the Dukan Diet call for reducing or eliminating carbs, but increasing your consumption of lean proteins to protect the proteins in your muscles and force your body to burn only fats. This is known as Ketosis, or the body’s fat burning mode.
Both diets feature a phased approach to weight loss, initially restricting down the foods to a list of approved items focusing on lean proteins. Then you gradually add back in other foods in each phase, helping you lose weight, as well as teaching you healthy proportions of different kinds of foods.
Both Ideal Protein and the Dukan Diet have a focus on education and teaching you to eat right for life-long weight maintenance. On both diets, you don’t have to count calories or go hungry. You are free to eat as much as you want of the approved foods.
Dukan Diet and Ideal Protein Differences
While the underlying philosophies of the two diets are very similar, they differ mainly in execution. The Dukan Diet is offered online for a monthly fee or by purchasing one of Dr. Dukan’s books. Ideal Protein is primarily administered through local clinics trained in the protocol, and equipped with knowledgeable nurses and nutritionists to guide and encourage you in your weight loss goals.
Those who sign up for the Dukan Diet online start by determining their ideal weight through an 80 question survey. Your diet program will be based around the results of this questionnaire.
When you begin the Ideal Protein approach at 7Company, you will be given an InBody body composition analysis, which will be interpreted and explained to you by one of our nurses. This tells us with great accuracy the amounts of water, muscle, bone, and fat that make up your body. With these and other detailed metrics, we can calculate how much weight you need to lose to be in your target zone.
While both programs offer coaching, it is delivered in different ways. The Dukan Diet offers all its coaching in a virtual environment. Participating in coaching is an additional fee and the price of your coaching is determined by how much weight you need to lose (figured from your 80 question survey). Participants must take their own weight measurements and report in nightly online. They receive daily emails with encouragement and recipes, and they can participate in daily online chat sessions with a coach and other dieters.
At 7Company, you will come in for a brief appointment each week to personally meet with your weight loss coach. She will take another InBody assessment to accurately track and record your progress. She can help with meal planning, make recommendations, provide encouragement, and provide any other support you need along the way. The weekly appointment provides a level of accountability that helps you stick to your program. Weekly measurements help you stay motivated as you see the results!
Added Benefits of Ideal Protein at 7Company
Not only will you find a supportive environment at 7Company, we have a number of additional resources and services to improve your weight loss efforts.
While we focus a lot on eating natural, regular foods, Ideal Protein also has hundreds of pre-packaged options that taste great. These include everything from snacks, drink mixes, soups, puddings, bars, and meals. These make it easy to keep your diet on track, while still satisfying your cravings for something sweet, salty, or something else otherwise off limits for the time being. Certain packaged foods can also be used as ingredients in other dishes and we love to share recipes using our Ideal Protein mixes. It’s also easy to grab them when you are on the go and will be away from home, where it’s often tempting to purchase something that isn’t as healthy and filling.
At the 7Company clinic, we also offer Electro-Slim Therapy which is a great complement to any weight loss program. While the diet is formulated to retain muscle mass, Electro-Slim can be helpful to further tone and tighten your muscles. It can be used to target specific trouble areas, improve circulation, and eliminate toxins from your body.
In addition to your coaching, we also hold cooking demonstrations where you can come learn how to prepare various dishes that you can incorporate into your diet. These sometimes utilize Ideal Protein products as ingredients. We always include tasting as part of the demonstration to inspire your healthy creativity.
Lifestyle Maintenance Program
One of the biggest things that sets 7Company apart is the excellent stabilization on maintenance program that we use. It’s a program designed to last for a year following your weight loss to help make sure you keep it off and have established the habits needed for lifelong enjoyment of your new body. Too many people look for quick ways to lose weight, only to find that they put it all back on after they have achieved their goal. With the Lifestyle Maintenance Program at 7Company, you continue to receive lifestyle coaching and motivation for a year after you’ve hit your target weight.
Request a Free Consultation!
Tips for buying new clothes after losing weight
Buying new clothes is the fun part about losing weight. It took a lot of sweat and tears, but you’ve got your best body back. You can’t stop checking yourself out in the mirror and praising yourself for you hard efforts. The question is: how do you dress this body? It’s time to take a look at your old wardrobe and start buying new clothes to fit your brand new, confident body!
- Update your basics by trading in your baggy jeans and t-shirts for more fitted and bold clothing, (you can check out the Jean Whisperer In Leesburg for great ideas). This will help attract attention to what you’ve been working so hard on for the past several weeks, instead of hiding underneath all of your old clothing.
- Adjust your sizes. Although you want more fitted clothing so you aren’t swimming in your outfits, make sure it’s not too tight. Even though you look great, you don’t want clothing that acts as a second skin. Find a happy medium between clothes that fit and clothes that are comfortable. Also keep in mind that your size will vary depending on the store. What is a size 0 in one store, won’t necessarily be a size 0 at another. Don’t pay attention to the number, pay attention to how you look and feel in the new clothes!
- Make sure you are fully committed to this new body. Just incase you weren’t, you wouldn’t want to be wasting money. So once you’re sure, treat yourself to a new wardrobe!
- While we’re on the subject of treating yourself, splurge on one item to keep you motivated! If you invest in something you’ve always wanted and can finally wear, you’ll be sure to stay away from those carbs!
- Get rid of what you used to love. It’s time to get rid of your old favorite clothing articles and get new clothes for the new you! If you love the look of a comfy sweater on a rainy Sunday morning, get one that fits you AND looks great! You can find new favorite clothes that will make you feel confident.
Are you looking for a healthy Superbowl snack?
Party snacks can ruin a good diet in a matter of hours, and Superbowl parties tend to feature some amazingly unhealthy treats like pizza and hot wings! Those may taste delightful, but they don’t look as delightful on your waistline. So we put together this healthy Superbowl snack so you can eat healthy and enjoy cheering on your favorite team!
Healthy Superbowl Snack: Kale Chips
What you’ll need:
Olive oil or grapeseed oil spray
Sea salt to taste
Ground pepper to taste
Dash of garlic powder
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray baking sheet with non-stick spray. Pull kale leaves from middle stalk and place on baking sheet. Spray with olive oil and sprinkle with seasonings. Bake for 5-10 minutes, or until leaves are crispy (just until the tips of the leaves are turning brown).
Put them in a serving bowl and enjoy!
8 secret tips to keeping your new and improved body and to maintain weight loss!
- Maintain weight by doing it for yourself first. You have to think about why you wanted to lose the weight in the first place and why this is important to you. Then use that as your motivation to maintain your weight. “Your desire to maintain must be driven by something that’s deeper and consistent with your own internal values.” – Scott Kahan, MD, director of the National Center of Weight and Wellness
- Exercise. You can and should continue a healthy diet but exercise is the key to maintaining your weight loss. “To maintain weight loss, physical activity is an absolute must.” – James O. Hill, PhD, Co-founder of the National Weight Control Registry.
- Get your baggage in check. A common cause for weight gain is indulging in foods to help you cope with your emotions. Try to find other activities to help you get through whatever you’re going through. Activities such as walking, talking with friends or anything else to keep you calm should be a big help.
- You’re not alone. You have your family and friends all here to support you during this transformation. You have 7Company as well backing you 100%!
- Limit screen time. Between our tablets, phones and TV’s, electronics seem to keep us sitting down. This makes it easy to snack while enjoying your daily dose of media. Have a set amount of time each day that you allow yourself to use your electronics. The National Weight Control Registry has found that the people who have lost 30 pounds or more watch only 10 hours or fewer, of TV per week compared to the average of 28 hours.
- Weigh yourself. Getting on the scale daily is an effective strategy to help in maintaining your weight loss. “It’s not just weighing yourself that’s important; it’s having a plan for what to do if your weight exceeds the level you want it to be.” -James O.Hill PhD
- Eat breakfast. 80% of the people in the Nation Weight Control Registry eat breakfast. Since breakfast is the start to your day, starting your day by eating right should help you continue that throughout the day.
- Stay on track. Sometimes things such as vacations and holidays occur which may make it difficult to stick to your diet. As long as you get back on track as soon as you can you’ll be just fine!
If you ever need any assistance or advice during your weight loss process, always feel free to let 7Company lend a hand! Take a look at our weight loss programs here! You can also read some of our client success stories here!